News

Italy’s foreign minister says divers found bodies of 4 Italians dead in Maldives sea cave

Italy’s foreign minister says divers found bodies of 4 Italians dead in Maldives sea cave

FILE - This undated handout picture released by Greenpeace Italia on Friday, May 15, 2026 shows Monica Montefalcone one of the five Italian scuba divers who died near Alimathaa in the Maldives archipelago while exploring an underwater cave. (Greenpeace via AP, Ho) Photo: Associated Press


By MOHAMED SHARUHAAN and GIADA ZAMPANO Associated Press.
MALE, Maldives (AP) — Italy’s Foreign Ministry said Monday that rescuers have located the bodies of four Italian divers deep inside an underwater cave in an atoll in the Maldives, four days after they were reported missing.
Searches had resumed on Monday after being suspended following the death of a local military diver during a perilous mission to try to reach them.
The government of the Indian Ocean island nation confirmed the bodies were spotted in the innermost part of the cave by three Finnish diving experts, supported by the Maldives police and the military.
“As was previously thought, the four bodies were found inside the cave, not only inside the cave but well inside the cave into the third segment of the cave, which is the largest part,” said Ahmed Shaam, a Maldives government spokesman.
He said the four were found “pretty much together.”
“The plan is they will try and recover two bodies tomorrow and possibly the other two the following day,” Shaam said in a voice clip sent to the media.
The body of a fifth Italian — a diving instructor — was found earlier outside the cave. The five were exploring a cave at a depth of about 50 meters (160 feet) in Vaavu Atoll on Thursday, according to Italy’s Foreign Ministry. The recreational diving limit in the Maldives is 30 meters (98 feet).
Three Finnish divers, experts in deep and cave diving arrived in the Maldives on Sunday.
Maldives presidential spokesperson Mohamed Hussain Shareef said earlier that the search was suspended after Mohamed Mahudhee, a member of the Maldivian National Defense Force, died of underwater decompression sickness after being transferred to a hospital in the capital on Saturday.
Rough weather has repeatedly hampered rescue efforts.
Initial teams had already dived to identify and mark the entrance to the cave system where the Italians disappeared. The cause of the deaths remains under investigation.
___
Zampano reported from Rome. Krishan Francis in Colombo, Sri Lanka contributed.

Recent Headlines

8 hours ago in Entertainment

Cannes standout ‘Paper Tiger’ reveals a new side to Miles Teller

James Gray's "Paper Tiger" has been one of the standouts of this year's Cannes. And at the center of the warm reception for "Paper Tiger" — which premiered Saturday and is one of only two films by American filmmakers competing for the Palme d'Or — is Miles Teller.

11 hours ago in Local

Manchester Doctor charged with sexual assault waives arraignment

Dr. David Vargas Lowy appeared before a judge Friday in Hillsborough County Superior Court after being charged with sexually assaulting children in his care and was released on $2,500 cash bail

13 hours ago in Local

Fire at a homeless camp at Mcintyre Ski area

Authorities say First responders responded to a fire in the area of a homeless camp on top of the ski area, about 60 feet into the woods

13 hours ago in Local

Lyme man found guilty in murder of his cousin

Lance Goodrich has been found guilty of shooting his cousin Brooke inside her Vermont home back in 2001.

13 hours ago in Local

State Senate kills vaccine exemptions legislation

The Senate has once again voted down an effort to charge the process by which families can receive exemptions for vaccine requirements.